Elton Hall and Gardens

| Home | House | Garden | Times & Prices | Residential Property | Commercial Property | Events | Shooting |

The House

 

The Hall is a mixture of styles. The garden or south front incorporates the 15th century tower and chapel which were built at the time of Henry VII. In the 17th century a new wing was added to the west.

The Marble Hall and main staircase, designed by Henry Ashton, are remarkable examples of a mid-Victorian revival of mid-18th century style.

The Drawing Room is the largest room in the house and was formed from the medieval Chapel around 1740. The 18th century ceiling with its enriched cornice and frieze remains, but the present decoration dates from 1860.

The Dining Room was built in 1860 and designed by Henry Ashton. The three large Gothic windows are exact copies of the windows that were in the North wall of the medieval Chapel.

The Library contains a large collection of books and represents a continuous interest from the time of Sir Thomas Proby. From the Main Library a short passage leads to the Inner Library situated in the medieval Sapcote Tower.

Other rooms of special interest are the Lower and Upper Octagon rooms, the Yellow Drawing Room and the Ante Dining room.

The current Chapel was formed from part of the undercroft of the Sapcotes' Chapel and has 15th century vaulting.

 

The Chapel

The Drawing Room
The Drawing Room

The Dining Room
The Dining Room

The Library


| Home | House | Garden | Times & Prices | Residential Property | Commercial Property | Events | Shooting |

© 2004-05 Elton Hall – Design by Taurus Graphics Ltd